Accurately estimating project costs is critical to the success of any organization contemplating future construction projects. Cost estimators have a lot riding on their shoulders. Owners and managers are reliant on these cost projections when determining whether to bid on the project, establish the scope of the project, or proceed with the project at hand. Poorly estimated projects can result in unfavorable outcomes down the road for all parties involved.
The practice of construction estimating is a highly technical and specialized discipline. Estimators are often the ones most familiar with all the project details. It is important to have an experienced estimator right from the start of the project, whether the estimator is hired through an outside company or already part of your design firm or construction company.
Like in every other industry, the growth of technology has made our lives, and careers, a bit easier by introducing various platforms and software programs that make certain tasks more accurate and efficient. (Like our Planroom, an online bid management system.) The same holds true for construction estimating. While it is still important to have the right person for the job, there are several cost estimating software programs out there that will assist estimators in becoming more precise and more efficient than before.
Missing even the smallest details can cause the loss of a bid or underestimated costs, which could result in big problems later on. Below is a list of cost estimating software that are available and used in the construction industry today (and the list is by no means all inclusive). If your cost estimator is not using estimating software, you are going to want to check these out!
- B2W Estimate - Designed to manage the entire estimating and bidding process. Despite its power and feature-rich functionality, it is intuitive and easy to learn.
- Bid4Build - This software features estimating for residential through commercial construction, specialty estimating including insurance and electrical, and supports all construction trades.They also offer many additional features and capabilities beyond just estimating.
- BSE Estimator - A home builders tool designed to help efficiently schedule jobs, calculate complex assemblies and deliver an accurate bottom line.
- Coon Creek Estimate Master - General purpose estimating software. Adaptable by virtue of an open database, customizable estimate fields, customizable cost basis categories and multiple document templates. Estimating software for a variety of construction and contractor businesses.
- ConEst IntelliBid - From residential, to heavy commercial and industrial construction, IntelliBid provides all the technology tools needed to generate accurate, consistent, and winning bids.
- EasyEst Construction Estimating- For general contractors, home builders, remodeling contractors and all sub-trade contractors. Included is free starter data for most trades, input items from scratch or purchase one of the pre-built Price Books (databases) and just adjust cost and modify descriptions to meet company needs.
- FastEst FastPIPE & FastDUCT - An industry-leading estimating software for industrial and commercial contractors. Whether estimating plumbing, HVAC piping, industrial process piping, or insulation, FastEst provides all of the tools needed to get an accurate and timely bid.
- HardDollar - Offers project estimating to establish standard processes and estimating methodologies, and build cost models.
- HCSS HeavyBid - Industry leading estimating software used in transportation, utility, oil and gas, power, industrial, and commercial construction.
- Maxwell Systems ProContractorMX - An all-in-one software solution for estimating, project management, and accounting. This software program allows you to handle the entire project lifecycle with a single solution that can grow with company needs.
- Maxwell Systems Specialized Estimation - Maxwell also offers estimation software tailored for specialty contractors. They offer estimating software for electrical, plumbing, HVAC,and mechanical contractors, as well as heavy highway construction and overall service management software construction companies.
- PlanSwift - Construction takeoff and estimating software calculates everything needed to get an estimate together, labor, square footages, perimeters, volumes of simple or complex areas, beams, rebar, studs, gallons of paint, concrete, insulation, gravel and length of copper wire.
- PreBuiltML - Quickly manage tasks throughout takeoff with powerful intuitive digitizer and project management and estimating tools that allow for automation of a wide scope of changes in the overall material list of the project.
- QuoteExpress - Estimating software designed for commercial and industrial piping, mechanical, HVAC and sheet metal contractors who need a Cloud enabled, fast and flexible tool to estimate costs.
- Sage 300 Construction & Real Estate - Provides construction and real estate firms with the most complete solution for managing the entire project or property lifecycle with confidence, precision, and efficiency.
- Turtle Creek Goldenseal - Provides fast, accurate cost estimating for any type of project. It works well for construction, and many other business types. The estimating program includes many cost estimation features to help increase the accuracy of project estimates, and reduce the time it takes to prepare a bid.
- Work In Progress - A commercial construction estimating software that goes far beyond simply creating estimates; it is a full-fledged construction solution complete with purchase-order generators and an integrated payroll solution.
If you liked this blog you might also be interested in reading: Don't Give Away the House